Monday, January 15, 2007

FAQs

I thought I'd better stick this up now rather than when the 1st newsletter comes out as I've been fielding a few questions. I hope it helps. Please do comment if your questions aren't answered.

WHAT WILL BE ON THE SITE?
Creative audio. This means anything from drama to sci-fi to horror to features to experimental soundscapes. As long as it has impact and an original voice and is different from the kind of thing you can already hear on the radio.

HOW LONG DO YOU WANT THE PIECES TO BE?
Short is good! You can pack a lot into a minute. The maximum would be around 10 minutes but if it's really good work and it warrants more time then that's fine.

WHAT DO I GET OUT OF IT?
Only the best work makes it onto the site so you'll know that your piece makes the grade if it's featured. You'll get the kudos of appearing on a BBC Wehsite and know that your work is being heard by BBC producers. I'll be organising regular competitions on the site where the winner will be commissioned to make something for one of the national BBC radio networks (eg BBC7, 1Xtra, Radio 4, Radio 3, World Service).

SO WHAT DO YOU WANT FROM ME?
I want you, your team and your listeners to send me your audio creations! Unfortunately we can't afford to pay you, but if you win a competition and are commissioned to make work for one of the networks you will get paid. If you don't have anything created but are interested anyway please let me know! A really important part of this project is the creation of a new community of audio enthusiasts. If you email me I'll put you on my mailing list. You'll be one of the first people to receive the Audiotheque newsletter. I want to kick-start debate and discussion about creative audio via this site and, in the meantime, via my blog: http://audiodrama.blogspot.com. So spread the word!

2 comments:

E. Bar said...

I am very interested in this opportunity, but was wandering hoew definite this whole project is!?
Is there a date set for first/last entries, when does the competition close, etc...?
Two more things: How and in what format are you wanting to receive the audio?
Is there any direct way of contacting you?

Thnx.
Eirik Bar, Acting Student @ aib
eirikbar@sockgap.de

Conor Lennon said...

Hi Eirik
To answer your questions:
1)there is no deadline for submissions. This is an ongoing project, with the aim of building a community and bringing new talent to radio. There WILL be competitions, and these will be announced further down the line.
2) I would prefer to receive the audio in the form of a link to the site hosting it. However, if you are unable to post the audio online you could try emailing it to me (with audio under 3 minutes in length this shouldn't be a problem) or, if all else fails, send me a CD.
Thanks, Conor